Appellation: Savigny Les Beaune
Cuvée: Aux Fournaux
Colour: Red
Grapes: Pinot Noir
About: From one of Andrew’s favourite villages climat for Pinot Noir in Savigny-lès-Beaune, “Aux Fournaux”. With the vineyard being located at the base of the slope, which provides better sunlight interception and drainage than most villages parcels in Savigny-lès-Beaune, the wine has fine definition and weight for a villages appellation wine.


Location: next to Aloxe Corton and Pernand Vergelesses just below Les Vergelesses, so it’s the best part of Savigny, a complex site.
Size: a few rows
Age: planted in 1960
Soils: clay at bottom for square tannins so light vinif, some limestone
Exposition: south east
Altitude: 100m
Training: single guyot
Farming philosophy: organic
Average yield hl/ha: 50
Climate: continental and variable, increasingly hot summers


Hand picked and sorted for over 8 hours to ensure only the best fruit made it to the fermenter, a 30hl tronconic Stockinger from 2016. 80% of the grapes were destemmed with the remaining 20% placed on top as whole cluster in a wooden vat. Dry ice was used to cool the fruit to 12ºC and to protect the berries against oxidation. Natural fermentation with just one pump over and one pigèage for temperature control thus basically an infusion. The wine was then basket pressed on the 14th day after harvesting. Settled for two weeks before 11 months in old 300L barrels. Racked under air pressure and settled for two weeks in tank before being bottled under a DIAM closure without fining or filtration.

Vintage Notes
A warm year, but unlike 2019 when it was very hot at harvest so was hard to get the results wanted, 2020 was much fresher at harvest, which gives width as well as weight. Great for reds, spectacular for whites, as good as 2014.
Date harvested: 27 august
Yield hl/ha: 40
Date bottled: 2022-02
Bottles produced: 2,765
Alcohol %: 13,3
SO2 Total: 30
Tasting: sexy nose, forest floor and vegetal strawberry, sweet cassis, some density but also very pure, gorgeous, lovely palate, super palate, pure, fresh, clear.